[Cdt-l] Snowpack

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:39:40 CDT 2015

Looks like a year for a Nobo on the CDT with the low snow depths.  In 2012
we had a low snow year and were able to start early, April 11th if I'm
remembering right, and then we were able to enter the San Juans the first
of June and get across Colorado before the monsoonal patterns had really
begun.  I ended up running off a ridge because of lightening twice on the
whole hike.  Friends who were just a couple of weeks behind when we all
started, ended up running off the ridges almost daily in CO.  By the end of
the summer they were 5 or 6 weeks behind us.  I made it to Waterton on
9-8-12 and they finished in mid Oct. Most of the delay was the lousy
weather they encountered that we didn't.  Just a thought for what made for
a marvelous hike in 2012.  If you can, and often you can't, get into CO
early and you could be ahead of the daily thunder.

Shroomer