[Cdt-l] Map change - Gila River route

BCSS bcss at bresnan.net
Wed Apr 15 08:44:59 CDT 2015

For you NOBO hikers taking the Gila route, there is a small map change that might be of interest. This is at Guthook Mile 82.0 (SOBO 23.5) which is BC waypoint G-0820XX.  Instead of leaving the canyon and bushwhacking up the steep, rocky hillside, continue on for about 1/4 mile to a small pond. This is identified on BC map 11G 79.0-85.5 as Gail Tank. I was there yesterday and there is a strong flow of decent water coming out of the pond. Cross the dam and turn sharply left and uphill to G-082RR where the trail follows FS road 652 and carry on as usual.  Once on the road it is dry for a while so this might be a good place to camel up and fill bottles. There is a well defined animal path leading up, (complete with a herd of elk yesterday) and it's much easier than the current alignment. I walked all over it and collected a GPS track, and this will be shown on future Guthook and Bearcreek maps.

Enjoy!

best wishes,

Jerry Brown
Bear Creek Survey Service, LLC