[Cdt-l] [pct-l] Gear Recommendation (Traction Devices vs Snow Shoes)

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Aug 6 18:33:27 CDT 2015

Hi, William!

I agree!

On my 1974 PCT thru, I carried my ice axe in my hand whenever on snow, too
(of course it was really long and reached the ground).

Since 1982, I have been teaching self-arrest skills with both a Whippet (or
the original Ramer version) and an ice axe (for those who want to learn with
an axe) and have never found the Whippet to be insufficient for a
self-arrest on consolidated snow (or even crusty snow, for that matter). I
have used one Whippet for several years, now, probably logging 6
demonstrations per class, running 4 to 10 classes per year, so I think my
Whippet has self-arrested me 24-60 times without a single failure! Of
course, if I were to be out on more boiler-plate, icy surfaces, the Whippet
wouldn't cut it, but for snow-hiking, it'll do just fine!

In 1974, also, I used a pair of Vermont Tubbs "Sherpa Designs" snowshoes and
they disintegrated on the crusty snow within 100 miles or so! I now use MSR
Lightning Ascent snowshoes primarily during the winter's powder, but a
little on springtime, consolidated snow and they are holding up just fine
after 5 seasons, now!

On one trip up the PCT from Kennedy Meadows to the Muir Trail Ranch in 2010,
three of us took these MSR snowshoes and only used them where we found
powder snow (cold and shady north sides of things). Without them, we would
have floundered or wallowed in misery. I'm sure you were happy to have your
snowshoes with you going down MT and ID, since you had such soft snow
conditions! Typically in the sierra, especially after the spring thaw starts
and the snow settles, compacts, and re-freezes at night, the surface is
totally good to walk on even with just boots, but care needs to be taken in
shady areas, on the north sides of passes, and after about noon when the
snow has softened in the heat and postholing is frequent!

Congratulations on  your CDT thru hike!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."