[Cdt-l] Getting in shape for the trail

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 01:51:47 CST 2015

Hey Fireweed, I completely agree.  Keeping in hiking shape is the single
most important thing I do to make my long summer hiking possible and fun.
Some folks do hit trail and get in shape over the first few weeks, but
sheer misery on the trail during that early period is the single most
important contributor to early drop out that  I've seen on either the PCT
or the AT.  The CDT seems to have a more seasoned crew starting and it's
less of a problem here, but train early and train hard and you'll toughen
your feet slowly over the preseason and strengthen your legs and there will
be much less pain when you actually find yourself walking day after day,
week after week with a pack on your back.  It's just a lot more fun when
you hit the trail running and not hobbling.

Shroomer