[Cdt-l] S Nm CDT logistics

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Sun Feb 8 17:27:02 CST 2015

Hi, Porsche:

I completed the NM section of the CDT last spring. I got a ride to the
Mexican border with the CDT van on the first day they took
reservations--April 10th. I was staying in Lordsburg, but Teresa
Martinez picked me up the night before and we drove to SIlver City,
where we stayed at a trail angel's house and then picked up more
hikers in the early morning at SIlver City. I believe they will now
pickup at Lordsburg. Contact Teresa Martinez from the CDTC.

I don't remember any major winds in southern NM when I did it last
year. One thing I remember about NM was how cold it was north of the
desert. Our water bottles froze in our tents and our boots wet from
wading in the river froze on several days within and north of the Gila
WIlderness. I was glad I had a sleeping bag rated to 15 degrees.

You could leave water at the caches with your own vehicle if you
wanted to start earlier, because they are secure metal boxes and you
can label your containers. Your car would have to be able to tolerate
some dirt road travel--I don't know if 4wd is necessary for any, but
the ones I saw had decent dirt roads coming up to them. There were
trail angels filling water containers for the caches at a market in
Lordsburg. I think some were volunteers from out of the area, but some
were locals. I don't know if they would cache for you outside of the
CDT van shuttle framework of dates.

The most important thing for the first day was hiking about 13 miles
to get to the first cache--no water before then at all from the
border.

 I also did a little detour around flood debris on the Gila above Doc
Campbell's on alternate trails. You might want to find out about the
status of the flood debris this year.

Ghost Ranch is not to be missed--I made reservations for a room ahead
of time and stayed there for two days.

Have a good hike and contact me if you have any other questions. My
journal is at postholer.com

--Fireweed

--Fireweed