[Cdt-l] S Nm CDT logistics

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:48:13 CST 2015

Wind can certainly be an issue in the early sections.  In 2012 we were hit
by a windstorm in the late afternoon just after we had laid out a cowboy
camp.  We had mistakenly pitched in the several mile stretch between the
Little Hatchita and Big Hatchita Mountains.  It was so strong it blew
several pieces of gear away.   I had to chase my sleeping bag off into the
desert to stop it from wrapping itself around a big chollo cactus.  We
would have had better protection in the wind shadow of either stretch of
mountains.

The wind grew overnight and we ended up covered in blowing sand when we
awoke to a howling wind.   After hiking a mile or so that morning, however,
we got into the wind shadow of the Big Hatchita Mountains and could look
back at the huge dust plume bowing between the ranges for most of the day.
It shut down the interstate near there for a day and a half.  So seek a
more sheltered spot if the wind in the evening begins to build.

Shroomer