[Cdt-l] Section vx. thru

Charlie Thorpe charliethorpe at att.net
Mon Feb 16 20:57:13 CST 2015

Hello Bob -

I hear you on the logistical challenges of a good section hike...especially a section hike of a trail like the CDT which has fairly remote stretches here and there.  When you step back and look at the logistics for a single season thru-hike compared to doing it over and over for a multi-year section hike, doing it just once for the thru does seem a lot easier. Definitely a LOT quicker, anyway.

I enjoyed thru's of the AT and PCT - scratched my purist itch on the AT and did some skipping and flipping on the PCT to get around the 230% above normal snowpack in the Sierras.  Shoot, I got to hike the PCT with one of my sons and that was worth the price of admission in itself.

BTW, I just found out last week that I met and even gave a little help to Cheryl Strayed of "Wild" fame during that PCT thru...how can you beat that <g>.  I haven't had a chance to read her book yet, but my wife tells me that my son and I became Albert and Matt in "Wild".  I had to look in a mirror to see if I thought I looked like an Albert...(no...more like an "Al", maybe...must be that poetic license I hear about...).

Both of those long thru-hikes were very enjoyable hikes for me and I wouldn't trade either of those life changing experiences for almost anything in a Campmor catalog.  All that being said, I absolutely believe that the fifteen years I spent section hiking the CDT got me into more interesting places, let me hobnob with more interesting people, and let me cope with more interesting situations than double the number of my thru's could ever do.

I really enjoyed 99.9 % of my speed hike (!) of the CDT- the time on the trail, the going back and forth from Alabama, all that time running around putting out resupply drops, etc.  Gotta admit that long roadwalk along liquid cow creek below Rabbit Ears while they were re-asphalting the road wasn't all that fun, but the rest has been a hoot.

Thrus are neat, but section hiking has its own attraction and can become addictive, too.  Who knows, a good section hike on the CDT might turn you into a logistics junkie...good luck!

- Charlie