[Cdt-l] Cowboy vs Tenting

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 11:07:28 CST 2015

I cowboyed the vast majority of NM.  Used a ZPacks Double Hex which was
very light and perfect for the hike.  That year most folks on trail were
using ZPacks tents, mostly singles but a few doubles too as they're so
light and stand well if pitched right in really big blows.  I remember
pitching once in Sand Canyon in a howling windstorm as it started to rain.
The two of us were like the Keystone Cops it was so crazy in the fierce
wind.  Once we muscled that thing up of course the rain stopped.  Pitched
again at Indian Spring for similar conditions and the same thing happened.
Once it was up, the rain quit.  Really had been no need for it in NM the
year I hiked.  Used it extensively after that.  We were very cold at 13,000
feet and above in CO and the wind break it provided was great.  We had rain
off and on north of that and eventually some bugs that were kept at bay by
the mosquito net.

Good to have rain protection and later bug protection.

Shroomer