[Cdt-l] umbrellas

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 4 22:16:51 CST 2015

I didn't carry one on the CDT or PCT, but I've carried and used one since on many trails including the Colorado Trail where it runs with the CDT and the Arizona Trail.  It is a luxury item since I also carry a rain Jacket that doubles as a wind jacket.  I attach it to my pack straps with Velcro so I have my hands free for trekking poles.  The umbrella makes hiking in the rain much more pleasant since I can keep my rain jacket open and hood off.  It was also especially nice in the sun on the AZT.  Although it snagged a bit on overgrown cats claw on the AZT, it is still functional with only a small amount of duct tape decorating it.       ---Handlebar