[Cdt-l] Invitation for May 25 near Ojo Frio

Jim Wolf mail at cdtsociety.org
Wed Mar 11 12:11:20 CDT 2015

CDT hikers have been invited to join a group of geologists,
archaeologists, and others for what sounds like a wonderful get-together
along the Trail on May 25. The site is just south of Ojo Frio (Mt.
Taylor Segment, 1:2.3).  All CDT hikers are welcome, but you might drop
jsdaly8 at gmail.com a note if you expect to be there.

See the invitation below -- enjoy it!

Hey All!

We are a group of geologists, archaeologists, hikers and campers that
celebrate Memorial Day weekend by camping near the Rio Puerco in New
Mexico.  For the past few years we have hosted CDT hikers as they pass
through our camp site.  We didn't realize our site was right next to the
trail!

  This year, we have decided to make this a more formal offer. We will
be arriving and setting camp on Friday evening, May 22 and breaking camp
on Monday May 25. We will have cold beer, water, fresh vegetables and
fruit and good hot cooked meals. There is tons of room for tents!

Also, if you are interested in joining us, we will be driving to and
hiking nearby Tapia canyon and exploring its amazing archaeological
sites, including Chacoan and Navajo ruins, petroglyphs and stairways on
Saturday May 23 at around 10 am. Additional hikes at volcanic cones or
hunting for fossils will be on Sunday at about same time.

Our campsite is located about halfway between the CDT towns of Grants
and Cuba at the base of the Mesa Chivato Escarpment at the northern end
of Mesa Chivato. It’s right between the mesa and Cerro Agua Frio. We are
in plain view of the trail. The coordinates are; 35 35’11N by 107 13’54.”W

Please feel free to contact me!

John Daly

Jsdaly8 at gmail.com <mailto:Jsdaly8 at gmail.com>

---