[Cdt-l] Input on resupply plan.

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Sun May 10 10:52:31 CDT 2015

Here are some directions that you can use NOBO to walk into Butte via the new trail.  This is Segment 18 in the waypoint data.

1.  At Homestake, follow the road a few hundred feet north to where the new trail begins to the left.

2. Follow excellent new trail 9.3 miles to an intersection with Mode S Trail.  The intersection is signed.  This is the spur trail into Butte.  (Continuing straight ahead without turning takes you via excellent trail to the “Our Lady of the Rockies” statue. This is the continuation of the CDT. )

3. To go to Butte, turn left on Mode S trail and follow good trail downhill 3.8 miles to a trailhead on Saddle Rock Road, which is the access road for I 90.

4. Turn left on Saddle Rock Road. Follow the access road about 3/10mile south to a underpass (Mt Highland Drive). Follow Mt. Highland Drive under the expressway 3/10 mile, crossing Continental and continuing 1/10 mile further to Three Bears Drive.

5. Turn right on Three Bears Drive and walk 300 feet to Three Bears Grocery.  This is a bus stop on the Butte Blue (Around Town) bus Route.  >From there it is possible to go almost anywhere in Butte on the bus.

To get back to the trail, just reverse the process and hike back up Mode S to the CDT.  That intersection is where my collected data stops, as the trail did not yet go through when we were there last.  I don’t think it will be any problems following it, however.  Continue north to the “Our Lady” statue and look for new trail headed northeast.  It will eventually connect to the existing trail which will take you to the Nez Pierce Trailhead at mile 26.5 of the old route.  The trailhead is about 8 miles “as the crow flies” from Our Lady, so it will probably turn out to be 12-15 miles or so via trail.

I will post a map when we get it surveyed, probably in mid July.

best wishes,

Jerry Brown

(970) 403-3527    Cell: (970) 317-1398

 <mailto:bcss at bresnan.net> mailto:bcss at bresnan.net