[Cdt-l] Neoprene socks

Matthew Edwards iceaxehikes at gmail.com
Sun May 17 12:34:31 CDT 2015

I hiked with a person named Socks, in fact.
She tried those neoprene socks for river and stream crossings.
She wore them a few times and then canned the idea.

The problem:
They tend to be too hot and non-breathable to wear continuously.
So she had to put them on/take em off continuously.
And that was just in the few Sierra crossings per day.

I followed the Gila NB the length of the CDTS route.
There were many dozens of crossings per day.
In my opinion they would be more trouble than they are worth.

The water was cold and i got chafed in other places.. but my feet held up
using thin wool toe socks (injinji) with medium smartwool socks over them
and mesh trail runners.
Socks were ankle length and i changed them often.
You will get sand and grit in there.. swapping them tends to keep the same
grit from wearing on your feet in the same places.
But wet socks for the Gila was the rule.

Feet being feet.. your experience will no doubt differ.

Some body glide for feet and crotch was helpful for me.
Also slapping some alcohol sanitizer right on the chafe at night seemed to
take some of the sting away by morning.

iceaxe