[Cdt-l] Selecting a Gossamer Gear backpack for CDT

Roger Carpenter pinecone at elkpass.com
Sun Nov 8 12:28:09 CST 2015

I was very fortunate to win a Gossamer Gear backpack at the ALDHA-West
Gathering in September  Thanks to Gossamer Gear for being such a good
supporter of ALDHA-West!  Now, I need to choose one of their packs.  I
intend to use the pack on a CDT thru-hike a few years from now.

I would welcome any advice from CDT hikers who have used any of the Gossamer
Gear backpacks.  My intention is go comfortably ultra-light.  This means I
will have a NeoAir full length mattress, and one of the Six Moon Design
cuben fiber solo shelters (not a tarp).  At my age, 61, I plan to hike much
less than 35-mile days on the CDT, so I will tend to carry a little more
food between resupply than other hikers.  Presently, my base pack weight is
around 14 to 16 pounds (with a backpack that weighs 34 oz. empty), a Western
Mountaineering sleeping bag (30 oz.) and a Six Moons shelter (34 oz.).  I
intend to replace the sleeping bag and shelter with lighter and more
packable ones, and use an alcohol stove.  Thanks!

Roger Carpenter