[Cdt-l] caches, parking, miles etc

MARY E DAVISON pastormaryd at msn.com
Wed Oct 28 07:06:05 CDT 2015

Michelle,

You did not mention which part of the CDT you were on or
which other part interests you as a section hiker .It is easier to talk about
specific sections in logistic planning and the trail is a long one with many
different logistic challenges. And of course the biggest necessary understanding
for logistics is yourself and a realistic knowledge of your own capabilities
and desires. Trew likes to sit and observe beautiful and interesting spots. He
is noty planning super long mileage stretches. I am a 74 year old lady and I go
more slowly than Trew hikes but because of my own limitations I don’t sit for
an hour or more more than once a day. I also try not to plan more miles a day
than an old lady can realistically do. OK – then I stretch it out a bit
sometimes and this last hike I got a tiny stress fracture in my foot. Many
hikers plan a start and an end and just wing it for planning in between. I
meticulously plan each day although I am always happy when I actually do more
than planned. I hate doing less than planned. Since I am both old and slow, it
takes a lot of logistical planning and some creativity and finding friends, or
friends of friends or list help, or church help or caching before going or
hitching or… I have about 800 miles left to go to finish CDT if I am able to do
so. Getting hoary in age but still planning next year’s hike. But I try to think
through everything I can before heading out. My planning sources are Bear Creek
maps, Ley Maps, Wolf books and other hiker’s journals.

So what have you done? Where are you planning to go? If you
get specific it would probably be easier for others to help you.

Medicare Pastor