[Cdt-l] Weminche Wilderness Question

Jeffrey Olson jjolson58 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 18:44:02 CDT 2016

You hike through the trees - and there ain't many.  Dead trees or live -
you're high in this section.  I actually don't remember being in
"forest" at all.  Probably a function of doing it 12 years ago.

You savor the high country above timberline - most of the hike. A side
route that's worth it is to head up to Vallecitos Lake, after you've
dropped down from Nemo Pass.  The trail is abandoned by the forest
service, so you need to pay attention.  The trail comes and goes up to
the lake.  Vallecitos lake is a hanging lake, with an alpine backdrop.
Head up the inlet stream (really steep) to the high shoulder of
Hunchback Mountain and down to the junction with the CDT.  It's use
trail, but there.  The trail above the lake is obvious - up to the lake,
not so much.

We did this in reverse, by mistake, and the views were just beyond
description - as good as anything on the trail.  It would be treacherous
if there were snow - way too steep.  But late July and August - it's
worth it.

Jeff...
Laramie Wyoming, where spring has finally come.

On 6/8/2016 5:21 PM, Doug Carlson wrote:

> I have been thinking about hiking from Wolf Creek Pass to Spring
> Creek.  Even with the dead trees, I guess the views are still fantastic.

---