[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 105, Issue 1

Doug Carlson doug-sue at centurylink.net
Wed Jun 8 19:07:49 CDT 2016


I would start at Wolf Creek Pass and head up over Starvation Pass, past
Beartown to Cataract Lake up Pole Creek, then maybe out there to Lake City.
I have summitted 3 or 4 of 13ers around Cataract Lake.  I am not sure if I
want to hike from Cataract Lake past Carson Peak and on to Spring Creek
Pass.  I sure enjoyed that section of trail when I did it 16 yrs ago.

-Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Cdt-l [mailto:cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of michelle
bracht
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 4:20 PM
To: cdt-l at backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 105, Issue 1

I hiked through on the Creede cut off last year. There were a lot of dead
trees and the trail was difficult to follow at points. That said it was
still beautiful and I saw more elk on that hike then I have seen in my
lifetime.

Michelle

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 8, 2016, at 4:05 PM, "cdt-l-request at backcountry.net"
<cdt-l-request at backcountry.net> wrote:
> 
> Send Cdt-l mailing list submissions to
>    cdt-l at backcountry.net
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    cdt-l-request at backcountry.net
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    cdt-l-owner at backcountry.net
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
> than "Re: Contents of Cdt-l digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Weminche Wilderness Question (Doug Carlson)
>   2. Re: Weminche Wilderness Question (Chris Pratt)
>   3. Re: Weminche Wilderness Question (BCSS)
>   4. Re: Weminche Wilderness Question (Doug Carlson)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 10:11:52 -0700
> From: "Doug Carlson" <doug-sue at centurylink.net>
> To: "'cdt-l'" <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
> Subject: [Cdt-l] Weminche Wilderness Question
> Message-ID: <003101d1c1a8$db841cf0$928c56d0$@net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> What does the  Weminche Wilderness CDT route look like these days?  
> Are all the pines dead?  Just wondering what it looks like.  I hiked 
> it 15 years ago, great forests, wonderful section of trail.  What is it
like now?
> 
> 
> 
> -Doug
> 
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> <http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20160608/2
> 1dbd641/attachment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 12:50:55 -0500
> From: Chris Pratt <chrispratt89 at gmail.com>
> To: cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Weminche Wilderness Question
> Message-ID: <1609dfe2-6841-8da5-a0e0-8f11b417872b at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"; Format="flowed"
> 
> Yes, a lot of dead pines from wolf creek to  Weminuche Pass when I was 
> there last year.  Still pretty, just need to be careful when setting 
> up camp.  A lot of my favorite spots have dead trees where good 
> campsites used to be.  The South San Juan was still in good shape.
> 
> Chris
> 
> 
>> On 6/8/2016 12:11 PM, Doug Carlson wrote:
>> 
>> What does the  Weminche Wilderness CDT route look like these days?  
>> Are all the pines dead?  Just wondering what it looks like.  I hiked 
>> it 15 years ago, great forests, wonderful section of trail.  What is 
>> it like now?
>> 
>> -Doug
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cdt-l mailing list
>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> <http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20160608/7
> 26d47e7/attachment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 12:41:04 -0600
> From: BCSS <bcss at bresnan.net>
> To: cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Weminche Wilderness Question
> Message-ID: <D98E6464-0673-4359-9974-9C2E5EE3B50A at bresnan.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> There has been a fire in there, and the Spruce forest is dying from beetle
infestation in places.  Still spectacular.
> 
> 
> 
> best wishes,
> 
> Jerry Brown
> (970) 403-3527    Cell: (970) 317-1398
> bearcreek.gis at gmail.com
> www.bearcreeksurvey.com
> 
> 
>> On Jun 8, 2016, at 11:50 AM, Chris Pratt <chrispratt89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>> Yes, a lot of dead pines from wolf creek to  Weminuche Pass when I was
there last year.  Still pretty, just need to be careful when setting up
camp.  A lot of my favorite spots have dead trees where good campsites used
to be.  The South San Juan was still in good shape.
>> Chris
>> 
>>> On 6/8/2016 12:11 PM, Doug Carlson wrote:
>>> What does the  Weminche Wilderness CDT route look like these days?  Are
all the pines dead?  Just wondering what it looks like.  I hiked it 15 years
ago, great forests, wonderful section of trail.  What is it like now?
>>> 
>>> -Doug
>>> 
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Cdt-l mailing list
>>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cdt-l mailing list
>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> <http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20160608/7
> 3dbda8a/attachment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 16:05:05 -0700
> From: "Doug Carlson" <doug-sue at centurylink.net>
> To: "'E'" <eshaww at excite.com>,    "'cdt-l'" <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Weminche Wilderness Question
> Message-ID: <000d01d1c1da$331cc5d0$99565170$@net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> The fire danger in Colorado has to be extreme now with all that dead pine.

> 
> 
> 
> I remember hiking past The Window.  I started a summit of Rio Grande
Pyramid but turned back in the face of dark clouds coming in and continued
on the trail heading north.  
> 
> 
> 
> All the trees were green back then.
> 
> 
> 
> -Doug
> 
> 
> 
> From: E [mailto:eshaww at excite.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 10:51 AM
> To: 'cdt-l'; Doug Carlson
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Weminche Wilderness Question
> 
> 
> 
> Not so great. A good portion of the CDT is above the forest, but here 
> are 2 photos taken in August 2011, a couple of days before Wolf Creek 
> Pass (SB) looking down and another looking back at the Window where 
> the forests are devastated. Mini Mart
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: "Doug Carlson" [doug-sue at centurylink.net]
> Date: 06/08/2016 01:12 PM
> To: "'cdt-l'" <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
> Subject: [Cdt-l] Weminche Wilderness Question
> 
> Note: Original message sent as attachment
> 
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was 
> scrubbed...
> URL: 
> <http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20160608/d
> 7806de4/attachment.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Cdt-l mailing list
> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of Cdt-l Digest, Vol 105, Issue 1
> *************************************
_______________________________________________
Cdt-l mailing list
Cdt-l at backcountry.net
http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l



More information about the Cdt-l mailing list