[Cdt-l] Butte

Michael mjblay at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:18:22 CST 2016

​I lived in Butte for the last 4 years,​ and I often hiked and
mountain-biked on the Maud S Canyon Trail. I've seen the trail and canyon
also referred to as Mode-S and Maude S in different publications, but the
trailhead sign (picture here
<http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image.aspx?f=1&guid=b2fff642-ad43-45b5-a412-465b7ad6863f>)
says Maud S and most of the locals refer to it by that name.  It's a
well-used and well-maintained trail that now connects to the CDT.  More
info on the trailwork that connected this spur trail to the CDT can be
found from this article
<http://mtstandard.com/news/local/maud-s-canyon-trail-expanded-ties-into-divide-trail/article_4226d730-d2e3-11e1-96b7-0019bb2963f4.html>
in the town's local paper.

I agree with previous comments that the Harrison Ave exit on I-90/I-15 is a
bad place to hitch.  I used this exit on a daily basis on my commute
to/from work, and there are frequently homeless people at the exit with
signs asking for money.  There are also frequently other hitch-hikers at
this exit.  I've picked up several in hopes that were CDT hikers, but none
of them were and several were probably very high and possibly dangerous.  I
stopped picking up random hitch-hikers unless their sign specifically said
"CDT."

I live 2 hrs away in Missoula now, but I travel back to Butte on some
weekends for work.  I don't know my schedule that far in-advance yet, but
if I happen to be in town when you fly in, I'd be happy to shuttle you up
to Homestake Pass to save you a few miles.  Just send an email a week or
two in advance, and I'll let you know if I'll be in town.

Have a great hike!

-Mike