[pct-l] Great Eastern Trail

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Fri Aug 11 23:15:45 CDT 2006

Check out the author's references to the PCT and CDT toward the bottom of
the article...
http://www.ajc.com/travel/content/travel/southeast/tn_stories/061806trail.html
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^~~~~^^^~^~^^^~^~^~^
Pretty cool! There's still some passionate adventurers building trails in
the Eastern USA. Sounds like a great AT-ET loop in the making. And yes, when
passion drives one's dreams, simple errors in the preacher's surmon to the
choir may occur...
"It's nice to be out here in the wilderness area with a group, instead of
just hiking," he said.

Standing atop the cliff overlooking the rapid, Devine lets loose a relieved
sigh.

"It's going to be there much longer than all the paperwork I grind out," he
said. "The staircase down there is going to last a century."

To have an unimagineable number of wilderness lovers hike along your hard
earned hand built and dreamed trail for years, is a great reward; on a par
with the hikers that dream and hike these trails to fulfill their own
lifelong wilderness adventures..

This picture is shows a very incredible hand built stairway in the Sierra
along the John Muir Trail near Silver Pass that always amazes me whenever
I've seen it.  This staircase is going to last for a century, and more..

http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/55561806/original