[pct-l] Drakesbad ranch is now closed to PCT hikers

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Mon Aug 14 11:15:04 CDT 2006

Hmmm, personally, it seems to me there must be more to it than a single
hiker not paying for a meal.  Punishing a large group for a single person's
actions seems either vindictive or opportunistic.  We know that hikers are
overall an EXTREMELY friendly and grateful lot, and anybody who is actually
happy to be hosting them wouldn't react so strongly to one isolated negative
experience.

Nah, I don't buy it.  ;-)  They must have wanted to stop hosting hikers, and
this seemed like an excuse to do so without losing face.

If you want to try to persuade them to change their minds, why not have a
few of the class of 06 chip in, get them a thank you card for their
hospitality (when they did offer it) include compensation for the meal and
maybe a copy of WeatherCarrot's latest DVD?  Maybe get a dozen hikers who
were there this year each write them a letter detailing what a treat it was
to be able to stop there for a visit - ah, or maybe just copies of people's
journal entries from their visit there.  That sort of jazz.  ;-)  Give them
a reason to feel good about re-opening their doors.  :-)

- Paul