[pct-l] Drakesbad, mailing lists, semantics, etc.

yogi yogihikes at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 14 17:34:27 CDT 2006

Dear csxii at schizoaffective.org,

If I were writing a personal email to Sue, then I
would have, of course, referred to Sue as "you".
However, csxii at schizoaffective.org, since I was
addressing the PCT-L community regarding a topic we
had collectively discussed this morning, I used Sue's
actual name.  This helps to clarify to the PCT-L
community exactly who/what I was talking about.

To go one step further, csxii at schizoaffective.org, my
post was a response to a post made by Blisterfree, not
Sue.  In responding to his post, I naturally referred
to the other poster (Sue) in the third person.

You see, csxii at schizoaffective.org, posts to PCT-L are
generally not personal emails.  Instead, they are
intended to be read by the community as a whole.

Here's an example:  I agree with Meadow Ed's
assessment of the trash problem at Deep Creek.  Notice
that I did not state "I agree with your
assessment......"  Although Meadow Ed made the
comment, Meadow Ed is not the only person reading this
post.  It is a public forum, and referring to Meadow
Ed in the third person provides clarity.

Hopefully, csxii at schizoaffective.org, this will help
you understand the semantics of how mailing lists
work.

BTW, csxii at schizoaffective.org, HYOH.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com