[pct-l] Trail Awareness - Trail Proximity ...

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Mon Aug 14 23:57:24 CDT 2006

It is hard to discern if trail behavior has gotten better or worse over
the years.

In the early 70's I backpacked into Sykes Camp and hot springs. It's `12
miles (supposedly) from the trail head. Found some trash including a
soaked sleeping bag and an abandoned towel. I carried out the towel and
used it until it got lost in the mail.

Doing the Rae Lakes Loop, we used an empty packer camp -- lots of trash.
We burned what we could and carried out as much as we could.

I live in Crescent City and drive up to Jedediah Smith SP occasionally.
Often see trash along the road. Also on city streets. Have helped clean
up trash people have dumped at various locations in the parks here.

I've backpacked into remote lakes and found fire rings and garbage.
Always try to carry out what I can. Often found used toilet paper, etc.

But the trash problem is everywhere; it's not just backpackers. :-(

I see tourists coming thru this area who seem to think that others
should pay for their camping or other services (like RV dump stations).

It seems to me that there is an attitude among at least some of the list
members that a thru hike is some sort of pilgrimage which others should
support. Sort of like a religious pilgrim with a begging bowl.   Or
hikers thinking they deserve a big discount just because they are thru
hiking without much money.

There are generous people who give to the thru hikers; but these are
gifts not rights.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>