[pct-l] Trail town woes / business closures.

Jason Waicunas pct2005 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 10:16:58 CDT 2006

Fellow PCT'ers,

(A post surfaced today on the 2005 PCT Yahoo Group site that really P'd me
off.  The reply below is a copy of what I posted on that site.)  We (the
hikers that give a damn) are the only people that can change what is
happening.

I usually stay out of these types of discussions, but after hearing about it
on this forum and on the PCT-L, I wanted to say a few things.  First of all,
the hiker, whether it be a thru-hiker, section hiker, or day hiker, is all
the same person on the PCT.  We all breathe the same air, enjoy the same
vistas, and  share the common passion for hiking.  Although thru-hikers are
trying to accomplish a greater feat in attempting to complete the trail in
one push, it makes them no better than anyone else.  Therefore, they should
not expect to be treated any differently.  When a hiker is offered a free
place to stay, such as at the Saufley's, Anderson's, or Dinsmore's, they
should not EXPECT that that level of treatment will exist at each town or
lodging facility at which they stop.  We are VERY LUCKY to be accepted at
all.  We come in to these places dirty and stinking like hell and many of
the hotel rooms are left looking like a frat party occurred, which to me is
completely unacceptable.  Granted, I have had my share of "parties" at
hotels and such, but I made damn sure that when we left, the empty bottles
were either in a trash can or even removed from the room altogether.  All
that we (hikers) have to do is carry our trash out of these facilities, be
kind and thankful to those that provide us a place to stay (discount or no
discount), and I'm sure that most of these places will continue to welcome
us to their businesses and homes.  I'm not sure what's going on out on the
PCT this year, but I remember that at almost every town stop / home that I
visited in 2005, the owner(s) was thrilled to see the hikers each year.  If
certain members of the class of 2006 are starting a trend that is causing
problems / jeopardizing the policies of our "trail network", then way to
go.....you really screwed it up for us all.  BUT - Maybe whoever it is that
is causing problems can become a better person by learning from making a
mistake.  If so, in the words of my hiking partner Chowder, "Man up and
admit your mistakes", maybe even send an apology to the faciltiy owners whom
you offended.  If not, then the next time you think about coming to town,
stay on the trail!   We (the entire hiking community) do not want you to
screw up a thing that a lot of people have worked very hard to provide for
us.  Think about it, if there were NO hotels and NO trail angels that opened
their doors to us.....how would your hike be then?  I bet that more than
half of the people out there would not even be out there hiking if that was
the case.  I'm done for now.....I think you (we) get the point.

PS:  I anyone knows of any hikers affilitated with any cases of being rude
to owners or any of those who trashed their property....kindly ask them
"why."  Maybe it will make them THINK for for a change.

***Besides, do we really expect Yogi to have to re-write he PCT Handbook
every year?!?

To all of you (us), do your part in keeping these facilities a part of our
journey......it's not that difficult.

Take it easy,
Nabor J