[pct-l] Lithium batteries & Garmin GPS

Corky Corcoran corcoran at corky.cc
Wed Aug 16 13:40:07 CDT 2006

I know from sad experience that lithium AA cells and a Garmin GPS are
not compatible.

Contacted Garmin about them, they said if one drains off some of the
voltage first they should work.  Did that, with some success.  Then,
as the batteries recovered, they didn't work.  Unit wouldn't
start.  That happened after I was off the paper maps bailing out to
Seiad Valley after hitting too much snow around Condrey Mt.  Needed
the GPS map to find my way to the Klamath River.

And didn't have it.  It started right up after I found my way out and
got some alkaline batteries.

Since lithium AA cells are nearly flat in voltage and current until
they die, it's an "iffy" proposition at best.  I learned rapidly to
not rely upon them in my Garmin 76 CSx.

Corky
Poco Loco Solo Sobo Hobo