[pct-l] Safety on the PCT

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Aug 16 17:58:48 CDT 2006

You're not at all crazy.  I was solo about 80% of the time on my Sierra hike this year, and grew to enjoy it immensely.  I felt very safe out there.  To be honest, I was scared by the challenging terrain at times, but that was unrelated to whether I was alone or not.  We've hosted quite a few solo female hikers.  It really depends on how comfortable you are being by yourself in general (growing up an only child, I'm used to it and really like it).  But do follow some simple rules:

-  do all you can to be prepared in every way to be 100% self-reliant.
-  have a schedule and give it to those who love you.
-  give them specific dates that you will check in.
-  give them dates appropriate to call SAR in case you missed your intended check-in date.
-  always check in with them as indicated.
-  give them a list of who to contact in case you miss critical dates.

You might want to try some short outings by yourself to see how you feel about being alone before you embark on a longer venture.  Best of luck, and enjoy!

L-Rod