[pct-l] Safety on the PCT

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Aug 17 13:05:06 CDT 2006

Great advice, Sweet Goat Mama.  I was in the habit of telling people who asked me if I was hiking alone, "for the moment; there is a group of northbound PCT hikers that are my friends who are also on the trail and we leapfrog each other."  This was a backhanded way of saying that someone could come along at any minute and I'm really not alone.  You could make up a ficticious group or person if you wanted, like, "my husband is behind of me and should catch up any minute."  There's no need to advertise or give the impression to anyone that you may be, indeed, profoundly alone.

L-Rod