[pct-l] Oregon Fires

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Thu Aug 17 13:35:50 CDT 2006

I read the article and found his opinions to be just that -- opinions
poorly supported by evidence and logic.

As to forest fires, the simple truth is that most forests burn sooner or
later. Even if clear cut and then replanted; one gets dense even age
trees that burn easier and hotter.

IMO the main reason for the big hot fires now is that for years small
fires were put out according to "professional forestry" which resulted
in ground fuel accumulation as well as a lot more undergrowth. Even 30
years ago, environmentalists were advocating letting natural-like fires
burn to maintain healthy forests. I've also read that different forests
have different natural  burn patterns based on forest composition,
climate, topography, etc.

My 2¢

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>