[pct-l] Fw: Drakesbad ranch is now closed to PCT hikers

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at citlink.net
Tue Aug 22 09:09:50 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Georgi Heitman
To: yogihikes at sbcglobal.net
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 6:41 PM
Subject: Fw: [pct-l] Drakesbad ranch is now closed to PCT hikers

To All and Sundry,
Thank heavens for those clearer heads who chose to weigh in on the side of caution regarding the possibility of error in reporting an incident where a hiker left Drakesbad without paying for her lunch.

While she did, indeed, leave Drakesbad w/o paying, it was through a misunderstanding that was quickly set right. Billie called me regarding another matter and mentioned the hiker who left with a tab that was picked up by another hiker.  Never did Billie ever mention closing Drakesbad to hikers. After the hiker (Nemo) arrived here and learned of her mistake I personally spoke with Billie and explained Nemo's confusion.  After reading Yogi's book for 2006 (the hiker's comments re Drakesbad),  she really didn't know if hiker meals were free or not. (Two entries from earlier years had indicated a small fee, but the latest ' 05 entry said that his meal had been free). She chose to go with the latest quote, though she now realizes she should have confirmed that., but reports that the waitress said nothing about meal prices so she really thought that she was good to go. She immediately left money to repay the hiker who had picked up her tab.  We all thought the problem had been taken care of.  Please understand this....
...DRAKESBAD NEVER HAS OR WILL BE CLOSED TO HIKERS AS LONG AS IT'S IN BILLIE & ED'S HANDS.

At least one hiker skipped their place based on the entry on the PCT-L. We can only guess how many others missed a great visit as well. Billie says that while meals are never free, the hiker in ' 05 may have had his meal "comped", as often happens there. The guests really enjoy their interaction with people from the PCT.

I hope this letter will be read and spread up and down the trail  and that this rumor will die as quickly as possible--tho somehow the truth seldom travels as fast or as far as the false information that precedes it.
Thank you,

Georgi Heitman
Trail Angel, Old Station, CA