[pct-l] Feeding the celiac thru-hiker

Rebecca Mezoff rlmezoff at cybermesa.com
Tue Aug 22 23:04:01 CDT 2006

I'm hoping someone out there knows someone who can help me with some
thru-hiking eating information.  I'm new to this list and am planning
to hike the PCT in 2007 if I can figure out how to feed myself on the
trail.

I have wanted to hike the PCT ever since I found out about it years
ago when living in Reno (and thankfully I now live in New Mexico, no
offense to anyone who currently lives in Reno intended).  Problem
was, I got sick and was finally diagnosed with celiac disease in May
2005.  Finally I'm feeling like my old self and am ready to take on
this trail in 2007.  I am a tad worried (well, about many things, but
I'll try to limit my anxiety in this post to just eating) about
feeding myself on the trail.  In case you don't know, celiac disease
(also called celiac sprue) is a condition which renders me gluten
intolerant... so no wheat, barley, rye, or in this country oats.
Alas, I will not be taking on the Seiad Valley pancake challenge as
it would make me much sicker than the average glutten.  So, most
American foods seem to have wheat in them--most everything with
preservatives has wheat of some kind--and although I'd like to carry
fresh food on the trail, I'm not sure those apples are going to fit
in with my light-weight hiking approach.  So all in all, I'm afraid
at resupply points I'll be stuck with whatever I mail myself as well
as potato chips and snickers bars (which I am already completely sick
of).

So my question is, does anyone know ANYBODY who does long distance
hiking who is gluten intolerant?  I can pack food easily for a trip
without resupply, but hate the idea of mailing absolutely everything
for the whole trail...  I'd REALLY like to talk to any long distance
hiker out there who has celiac disease or is gluten intolerant, and
I'm sure there must be such a person in this wide world (especially
considering the incidence of celiac disease is estimated to be 1 in
133 people) even if is your sister-in-law's uncle's second cousin who
hiked the AT in 1978.  Surely she'd have something to suggest beyond
bananas and rice (make that instant rice and banana chips).
Thanks!
Rebecca
PCT '07 hopeful
(who does not want her trail name to be "sprue" but fears it is
inevitable)