[pct-l] Eating wheat free

Wells moremoxa at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 13:09:02 CDT 2006

Yup, I just read the request for help about eating on the trail.  I agree that I probably have a trick or two that will help.
   If you have to eat wheat free, or egg free or POTATO free at home, with a little creativity and work before you hit the trail you will be able to eat just fine.  Even if it means being tied to the PO scheduals.
    How severe are the reactions to the foods?  If you are having wheat issues, as opposed to gluten issues, it will mean you probably have a number of other grains that will affect you as well.  Especially corn and oats, as well as rye.  Be sure to test this out before making your meals for the trail.  It is common that people with food sensativites can get away with eating small amount on a rotating basis.  Try this out BEFORE deciding on your trail menu.
    Another option before giving in to the limitations, is to seek alergy treatments from an acupuncturist trained in NAET treatments.  Even if the treatment doesn't 100% correct the problem it will make it easier to manage as it reduces the severity of the reactions. It will aslo find and treat other sensativities you may not be aware of.
    Another note... (I know I'm full of advice once I get going)
        You may also have sensitivities to soap products, especially shampo.  If you can find a realtionship in this category, and correct or avoid them, it will most likley reduce the reaction to the foods.
    From an Oriental medicine view, any imbalance in our digestive system means a overloaded liver, (energetically).  Just avoiding the offending foods does not correct the liver issues, it is just  a bandage that we learn to live with.  Now, having said that, I will tell you fixing the underlying issue can  take time and lots compliance .  It took me 10 years before I found out I couldn't eat potatoes.  It may not sound like a big deal to not eat potatoes, but I grew up in Idaho and eating potaoes was an almost daily event.  When I figured out I also had grain issues it was like being put in a prison.  Meat, Potaoes and Bread... besides sugar what else is there to eat... and sugar needs grain to be extra yummy. After I found out I spent another year being sick because I refused to change what I was eating. Now I know when I can get away with small amounts and when I need to do extra acupuncture to get my liver a little happier.  I still eat birthday cake and pizza!
    Bottom line, if you have figured out how to eat at home, you can hike anywhere you want.  If I can figure out how to hike without potaoes and grain... anybody can.  Do not let your limitations stop you from fulfilling a dream.  Learning to eat on the trail is a challenge for everyone, even if they are free to eat everything they want.
  Feel free to contact me off list.  I am planing on hiking next year as well.       onthetrail @ pocketmail.com
    I am heading to the hills on Monday, for my cooking job till November.  I don't have a computer up there... but I also don't have running water or electricity... or a flush potty... or central heating.
   I do get to a phone every few days so my pocketmail still works.   I'll catch up when I get to come down every couple weeks.  In the mean time I'll be running up the mountains trying to get in good enough shape I can beat Just Paul to camp next year. (and making yummy bread and cake and POTATOES for my hunters!)
  Thanks Ed.
  See ya
  Ellie mae

ed faubert <edfaubert at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Ellie May,
  Did you rear the post yesterday about the woman hiker who is trying to learn how to hike with her wheat problem...... i thought of you when i saw this and felt AHH theres a person who could answer this hikers ?s.
  Meadow Ed