[pct-l] Changing world

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Mon Aug 28 18:31:09 CDT 2006

Well, I can only answer for Oregon. The answer for you will depend on
your state's definition of "vehicle."  In Oregon, for purposes of
Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants (shortened to DUII
pronounced "Dooey") the skateboard would have to be a "motor
vehicle," which means it must be self-propelled by a motor.  Be
careful, however, because there are parallel statutes for Boating
Under the Influence  (or "Booey") which would likely apply to a tipsy
canoeist or kayaker, and Bicycling Under the Influence
(transmogrified to Pedaling Under the Influence or "Pooey" to
distinguish it from Booey).  I don't think Dooey, Booey or Pooey
would fit the drunken skateboarder, who would have to be arrested for
the more general offense of felony FUDPO (Fell Under Displeasure of
Police Officer, a variation of Mopery Dopery in its various
degrees).  A closer question, which I was actually called upon once
to litigate, would be the besotted operation of an electric
wheelchair along the shoulder of a public highway.  For purposes of
felony Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle (shortened to UUV and pronounced
"you you vee") the article used must only meet the definition of
"vehicle" rather than "motor vehicle,"  leaving one with the
tantalizing possibility of prosecuting someone who shoplifts a cheap
pair of skates for a felony.  I have waited for decades for a test
case, but none has appeared.

If anyone desires further legal analysis with statutory and case
citations, please advise.

Wayne Kraft