[pct-l] Trail or Glory

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Sat Dec 2 00:21:01 CST 2006

To all the newcomers,

The PCT wouldn't exist if you didn't have ones such as Ned Tibbits and Greg Hummel. These men love the trail and give their hearts to it every year - just ask their wives!

Yes, my husband, Ned Tibbits, runs an outdoor school, but he also gives away his time to help the PCT community. He was also instructed by others before he, himself ,ventured out on a long distance hike.  He hiked it alone in 1974 when he had to follow maps and roads, before GPS.  At 17, Ned acquired 8 sponsors and numerous volunteers to help with his hike. I watched a mile away in Sonoma, California as this young man was written up in our local newspaper as a hero.
Without the pioneers you wouldn't have a trail to follow. These men carried packs unheard of in this day, 70 pounds plus.

You complain of bugs, suncups, and weight but my husband only speaks of the joy of being on the trail.  Is it the trail you love our your own glory?

Lady J