[pct-l] Leaving List

gwtmp01 at mac.com gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue Dec 5 10:52:31 CST 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 5:44 PM, Jane wrote:
> I am removing myself from the list for the moment.  So much of the
> current input sinply doesn't reflect what I originally found so
> helpful and interesting -- tips on gear, water sources, trailhead
> transportation, etc. as well as personal anecdotes of folks'
> adventures on the trail.  I'll check it out again in a few months.

Jane, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm singling you out but I
hope you have expressed your frustrations directly to the people
posting the comments.

If a few rude or uncalled for comments result in people unsubscribing
instead of privately (or if necessary publicly) calling out the posters
then the net result is that the list and discussion becomes
controlled by
those who are misbehaving as all the polite people leave the list.

I know it can be awkward and sometimes seem like an unnecessary
confrontation,
but when you see that a particular post is clearly out of line just
send a quick
note to the author.  It isn't necessary to enter into a point by
point debate,
just give them a heads up that you felt uncomfortable with the tone
of the post.

I hate to see lists degrade because all the good people leave.  It is
quite easy
for a few raucous threads to stand out from many more reasonable
lines of discussion.

It is possible to have a discussion and disagreement with civility.
The aim
should be to insist on a certain amount of decorum while still
encouraging
discussion.

Gary Wright