[pct-l] Hey all - Guide Books & Maps

matt maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Tue Dec 5 16:37:58 CST 2006

Brian
This is just to echo the others but...
PCT Guide Books, these are a must, like the ad says "Don't leave home
without it"
PCT Data book, indispensable quick reference

Maps, I use maps made with National Geographic TOPO! (NGT) and various
"estimates" of the trail's location. If you have NGT, I have files with
Southern California verified from Campo to Kennedy Meadows, Kennedy
Meadows to Cottonwood Pass, & Sonora Pass to I-80. (yeah I skipped over
the Sierras, to date)

I personally like to have the Forest Service visitor maps or other wide
view maps for identifying far flung landmarks and emergency route
finding should a detour be needed.

But all that being said the trail is well marked and a person could hike
it without any aids and not get lost, or at least I could. I know people
who have very poor geographic sense and could get lost in their own house.

Trail90