[pct-l] Ansel Adam's "The John Muir Trail" 1938 Book reprinted!

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Wed Dec 6 08:10:33 CST 2006

I am not familiar with Peter Starr's "John Muir Trail." Is it a photo
book? I do have a well-used, by me, copy of a 1970 edition of
"Starr's Guide to the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra Region" by
Walter A. Starr. Are the two related?

Pieces

Walter Starr, Sr was Peter's father, and published his son's wilderness
notes into the "Starr's Guide to the JMT and the High Sierra Region" in
1934. Walter Starr Jr, "Peter", died in 1933 climbing Michael Minaret in the
current Ansel Adams Wilderness. Your book is the later reprint. There is
also another great book called "Missing in the Minarets" by William Alsup
that documents the massive search for Peter's body by many of the Sierra
climbing legends, Norman Clyde, Jules Eichorn, and Francis Farquhar. The
Starr's Guide (1934) is a great resource for finding xc routes and old
abandoned Sierra trails.
http://www.stanfordalumni.org/news/magazine/2003/novdec/features/starr.html