[pct-l] encouragement

Linda Bakkar lbakkar at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 21:08:48 CST 2006

For the last 20 years or so, I have spent my summers hiking and climbing in
the Pacific Northwest -- a week here, a few days there.  I have had a dream
to thru-hike the PCT for many of those years, and I have completed the
Washington State section in bits and pieces.  I love the PCT and can't wait
to get out on it.  (I am sure you can all relate to that feeling.)  When it
is time to leave the trail, I find myself yearning to continue....slowing
down on the last day of a section hike to make it last.  My thru-hike of the
PCT is planned for 2008, and I have been keeping myself as strong as I can
for my age.  You see, I will be 61 when I set out from Campo.

Even though I have no serious physical problems, my doctor used some
sarcastic comments near the end of last summer about my wanting to hike from
Mexico to Canada, and I am ALMOST 60 YEARS OLD!!!  I was kind of angry then.
  After that, instead of telling people I was going to thru-hike, I started
telling people "I will hike as much of the trail as my body will let me."
And if it turns out that it is the whole trail...........I just want to be
out there!

A couple of days ago, a teacher in the high school where I work told me he
thinks it is unrealistic for me to plan such a long hike -- even to plan to
hike long sections.  But I love to hike in the backcountry, especially above
treeline, and even off-trail when I get a chance.  I don't feel 60!!!
Besides, what is 60 supposed to feel like, anyway?

I need some encouragement from my trail friends on the PCT-list.  Is age
really a factor in whether one should try to hike long distance?  I don't
want to buy my rocking chair just yet!

Lindy
North of Seattle