[pct-l] encouragement

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Thu Dec 7 21:56:16 CST 2006

Linda Bakkar wrote:

> I need some encouragement from my trail friends on the PCT-list.  Is age
> really a factor in whether one should try to hike long distance?  I don't
> want to buy my rocking chair just yet!
>
> Lindy
> North of Seattle

hi lindy-

i like to encourage folks who think they want to thru-hike the pct, but
aren't at all sure if they've got it in them, because i was definitely
one of them! i wasn't truly sure i'd make it until the last 3 or 4
days... and even then, on the very last day i even had doubts!

imho, age is certainly no factor in whether one should TRY to thru-hike
the pct... it MAY be a factor in how far you're able to go, but that's
not really what it's all about anyway. don't forget- all "thru hikers"
are sections hikers until they've reached the canadian border!

i say if you know your body and your abilities, and you think you're up
for a thru-hike, GO. DO IT. barring some sort of accident/injury, the
worst that can happen is you'll go home when your mind/body are done.

cheers-
girlscout

--
Pea Hicks