[pct-l] encouragement

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 8 08:24:29 CST 2006

Lindy wrote:

"I need some encouragement from my trail friends on
the PCT-list."

Better yet....some real life inspiration:  I have
personally witnessed several 60-year olds who have
outhiked me cross-country on the AT and PCT and
outbiked me bicycling coast-to-coast when I was in my
late 20s and early 30s.  Let's not mention the 70 and
80-year-olds who have passed me.....

I noticed that they tended to hike/bike shorter miles
than the younger folks, but that they were much more
peristent and determined (they hiked/biked more days
without taking zero days in town).  Mental toughness
can make up for any deficiencies in physical
toughness, and I find myself getting mentally tougher
as I age.

I would encourage you to not worry about how old you
are, or even health issues that you cannot effect.
Just prepare, prepare, prepare.  Get your pack as
light as you are comfortable with and then throw out a
few more things.  Hike a lot.  Keep yourself in good
shape.

Do the things you need to do to get ready for a
thru-hike and, by all means, go and have fun!  There's
nothing like fulfilling that dream.

Nocona