[pct-l] Fears; was "on-trail obstacles of LD hiking"

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Dec 9 11:33:55 CST 2006

I'm not trying to change Ned's topic, but rather add another that I don't see too many openly discuss...

"What were (are) your greatest fears prior to attempting your first thru-hike?"

Me?  Some background first...

I started backpacking in the 60's and gradually became interested in 'long' hikes... Also, in the 'Colin
Fletcher' style, started going solo many times (convenience, mostly)...  did many trips over 200 miles
(JMT 3x, TYT 2x, Oregon Skyline portion) and two almost 500 miles (I know, these aren't quite the
same as thru-hiking, but rather only a 'taste' of it) ...  In the 70's, also got into climbing and
backcountry skiing/winter camping (and, btw, also got married!)...  I grew up "in the sticks" in far
northern CA and then was a geology major in college - map and compass were never a problem for
me (I have never felt close to being lost - though, admittedly, momentarily 'disoriented' a few times
during whiteouts or very foggy conditions!)...
Back then I probably had many of the 'normal' apprehensions (food quantity, fuel, injury, navigation,
etc.), but I think my primary 'fear' was "failure" of completion of whatever was planned at the moment...

I have not attempted a thru-hike since my life's previous comittments and responsibilities took priority
and led me away on another 'trail' so many years ago...  Life and time have marched ('hiked') on...
Now, as I ponder what year I will eventually hit the trail, my greatest fear in attempting a thru-hike may
be "success" (not necessarily "success" in hiking border to border, but in the 'journey')...
Silly?  How could "success" be a 'fear'?
Remember - I had a sample 'taste' of what thru-hiking could be like many years ago...
"Success" may turn me into a thru-hike 'junkie' that will need an annual 'fix'...  a dependence that will blind me to those previous comittments and responsibilities...  an addiction that may cost me more than I'm currently willing to pay (and maybe it's also why I delay until 'later'???)...

So, my greatest 'fear' is "success" and what it might cost me...  What was (is) your greatest 'fear' prior
to your first thru-hike?

Thanks.  Happy trails!!!