[pct-l] encouragement

Freiman, Paul pfreiman at ucsd.edu
Sat Dec 9 12:58:22 CST 2006

I have a friend who started hiking when she was 65.  She was wonderful and doing sections until about 75.  She then got cancer, atrial fibrillation and several other ailments that keep her miles to 4-5 miles a day.  She is 80 now.  She never felt more alive than when doing the PCT.  I had a friend who kept working until he was 68.  He hiked for two years then took care of his 92 year old mom.  Then when she passed away he got cancer and died six months later. He would have loved to have retired earlier.  Linda, you need to do this.  You are still young.  Enjoy yourself.  Now's the time!
Capt Bivy