[pct-l] the on-trail obstacles of LD hiking

S Daru darudiva at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 9 13:37:29 CST 2006

I have to qualify my answer: I have not succesfully completed a
longer trail than about 300 miles. However, what has been a real
obstacle is confidence.

When we were hiking the PCT in Washington, we met a scout group. The
leader told us that one of the kids had stayed behind. When the troop
leader went back to find him, he found him on the edge of the trail,
without his pack. He'd given up. First he had left his pack, which
was 'just too heavy' and then he had planted himself next to the trail.

The scout still had to learn that giving up like that is not an
option on the trail. I know that. However, I did recognise the worst
part of myself in this story. There have been times when I just
wanted to give up. And at times I have.

What I have also found quite hard, was to accept that everyone hikes
their own hike. I hike with my life partner. He is much faster and
stronger than I am. Accepting my own limits, and not resenting him
for his, has been a struggle. Being out there and feeling day after
day that I drag him down. Feeling that I have to jog, getting winded,
overreaching. It's not good for your self-esteem, I can tell you.

The hike we have done this summer has been the first long trail we
have finished completely. And five days too early. I badly needed
this experience. To know that we can make it. To know that we can
truly enjoy our time out there. But only when I acknowledge my
limits. When I don't, it is a struggle every single day. And that is
too much after a few weeks. Especially when chosing to get out and
get on a bus seems so sensible and easy.

We have gotten to know ourselves better as a couple. I'll be
eternally grateful to the trails for that.

Saskia (Sauce)