[pct-l] Tent-picking

Courtney Caryl kotoni at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 22:55:54 CST 2006

Hello, I've been lurking for a few months, and I would like to poke my head
out and ask about tents. I received an REI gift card, and I'd like to pick
out a tent with the card to use when I go backpacking in Japan next summer.
The terrain will be mountainous on the whole.

I'd like to build some skills before I try the PCT again. I've mainly
dayhiked and done two-day trips in the last couple years, as an adult and
completely in Japan. As a child (about 9) my father took my younger sister
and I from Stevens Pass to White Pass on the Washington PCT in about 5 days.
(He was overly optimistic, but we somehow made it.) I'd like to section hike
when I go back to the states in a year or so.

These are the tents I am looking at. I've seen some cheaper at other
websites, but since I have the giftcard I'd like to use it.

1. Sierra Designs Light Year CD tent
2. Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 tent (there is an '05 edition in the Outlet store
which is 3 ounces heavier and about $60 cheaper)
3. REI Chrysalis UL tent
4. REI Roadster UL tent

I'm looking for people with experience of any of these tents and if they
would recommend them. I have done some research and they all seem fairly
comparable and I haven't seen any badly reviewed... The Chrysalis and Sierra
designs both feature nylon ripstop in the fly and canopy, and the Chrysalis
has a coated nylon floor, while the Sierra has coated nylon taffeta. The Big
Agnes tent doesnt have ripstop in the canopy but has coated nylon taffeta in
the floor and coated nylon ripstop in the rainfly.

The Roadster I hesitate on, if only because it has the smallest square
footage for a similar weight, packed size, and materials used.

Thanks for your help!

Courtney