[pct-l] Tent-picking

Marcel Ray marcel at marcelray.com
Thu Dec 14 11:16:33 CST 2006

Courtney-

Have you looked at the MSR MicroZoid (
http://www.msrcorp.com/tents/microzoid.asp )? It's about as no frills as you
can get for solo backpacking. Some reviews say it's a bit small, but I'm
6'1" and found it to be just perfect. It weighs less than all of those tents
you listed, with a 2lbs 5oz. carry weight (tent + rainfly). You can also do
a fly with footprint setup which clocks in at 1lb 10oz. It packs very small
and does a great job of keeping away the Pacific Northwest's moisture and
condensation.

I just checked REI's page and it doesn't look like they carry it anymore.
Weird. I guess that might throw that idea out the window. But if you do wind
up getting other gear from REI and look for a tent elsewhere, I'd strongly
suggest looking at that one. I scored mine on eBay for $100. Sure there
might be better independent tents available, but not for that price!

-Marcel