[pct-l] Raingear

Matt Maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Mon Dec 18 07:06:46 CST 2006

Scott Polewach wrote:

> 1.  How friendly are the post offices and lodges that hold maildrops
> along the PCT?  If I send out all my own maildrops before begining my
> trip, will (almost) all of them actually be at the post
> offices/lodges/etc. when I arrive?  Should I call them in advance and
> give them a heads up?   I know that many people say they would not
> recommend maildrops, but even if I did the AT again I would do
> maildrops.  I go into sensory overload at grocery stores and usually
> buy at least 50% more food than I need.
>
> 2.   How nessecary is rain gear?  I found that I'm too sweaty for
> gore-tex to be all that effective.  Will a windshirt and an emergency
> poncho cut it for the majority of the trail?  I would (probably) carry
> a gore-tex jacket for at least the Sierra, but are there any other
> areas where I would need one?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hermes

Scott
The one test I have been able to give my Dry duck(???) rain suit was a
smashing success.

I was day hiking up to Angeles Landing in Zion National Park, when
thunder storms rolled in. I broke out my rain suit and stayed bone dry.
Also had a very cool show of numerous waterfalls and a small flash flood.

The thing I generally use around here is a golf umbrella and chaps,
maybe a poncho if it's really pouring. You had better have dry socks.

Cheers
Trail90