[pct-l] Senior Thru-hikers on PCT

Linda Jeffers gottago at lindajeffers.com
Tue Dec 19 00:11:39 CST 2006

Hi Hamlet and other 60 and over hikers out there,

I've read a few posts in the last few months from hikers in their 60's
wishing to connect with other like aged '07 PCT hikers. I've always intended
to respond to your posts but didn't. I don't know why I didn't respond
because I, too, always hope to find other hikers around my age. So thanks
for posting and giving me and others a chance to meet you.

The trail calls and my intention is to hike the PCT again in '07 too. I'm
planning and training for the hike. I have an itinerary, a start date, food
I've been dehydrating, a body that's getting used to hiking some miles with
my pack but I have some doubts about whether I am physically fit enough at
62 to do a long hike again, (of course I had the same doubts 5 years ago in
2002 before I hiked). I also have some doubts about whether I will miss my
family and friends too much to stay on the trail.

My husband retired last April. When I hiked in 2002, he was working. We'll
have completely remodeled our home just before I'll leave to hike the trail.
There are many women in my life that will not be very happy about my taking
off on the hike. I could go on and on about all that goes on in this head as
to why I shouldn't hike. I just know that not hiking this year will leave me
with thoughts like, "I wonder how many years I have left to hike?" Is this a
good motive to hike? I don't know. What I do know is that the only way I'll
know whether I want to hike is to hike.

I guess why I haven't posted a response to you before is that I was
unwilling to put it out there for others to see that I am hiking in 2007. So
now that it's out there I am able to say that I'd like to hear from you and
other 2007 hikers. Please feel free to email me and let's talk.

Gottago

www.lindajeffers.com