[pct-l] Idyllwild and Tahquitz Inn situation

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Tue Dec 19 13:21:44 CST 2006

Hello from a long-time list-lurker.

Over the next few weeks, I expect to be updating Best On the Crest,
my Web guide to town food and lodging on the PCT, at
http://www.emeraldlake.com/pctguide . One situation I need to
clarify: The current state of relations between thru-hikers and the
owners of the Tahquitz Inn.

The Inn has been PCT Ground Zero in Idyllwild for many years, the
default choice for thru-hikers. Until this past season, the owners
had been extremely supportive of the PCT community (trailhead
shuttles, huge hiker boxes, big room discounts, etc.) I have very
fond memories of the week of the Mother's Day storm in 05 when I was
part of the jolly pack who pretty much laid seige to the place while
the snow fell on the San Jacs.

Something happened in 2006 -- and I'm unclear exactly what. I was on
the trail and didn't see the message traffic on PCT-l when it
occurred. The gist of it is the owners had some very negative
experiences (specifics unknown) with hikers and apparently withdrew
the welcome mat in rather dramatic fashion. I only recall seeing a
very angry Web page that concluded: "The magic is gone. And so is the
thru-hiker."

Can anyone shed some light on where this stands now? Did anyone
recontact the management of the Tahquitz and see what, if anything
can be done? It would be a big loss to future classes if a bad
situation or misunderstanding were allowed to bar the door here
indefinitely. And that's certainly something I'd want to note on my
Web site.

I recall reading on the list not too long ago of the tragic
misunderstanding that concerned a thru-hiker walking out on a tab at
Drakesbad. (I understand this was just miscommunication, not
intentional malfeasance.) The community -- Yogi, to her credit --
stepped in to settle things. In the end, I was left with the
impression that good relations had been restored. It would be
heartening to see that same effort extended here, if it's warranted.

Thanks for your consideration,

DP