[pct-l] RE applications for Virtual Hiking

Adam Bradley tooloouk79852 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 12:47:40 CST 2006

Hello All,

  I could really use a job this summer and if that
company Virtual Hikers is hiring I wonder if anyone
knows where to get a app?

  On another note folks claim for their love of the
trail, but I don't see anything concrete being done to
protect it.  Want to protect the trail from
powerlines?
Make a movie about trail threats instead of the wad.
Give 1% of profits from the movie to trail threats.

  Care mucho about the trail, give 1% of profits from
workshops to the trail you love.

  Workshops?  Reminds me of guide school.  A up and
coming boater to be pays some raft company 700$ and
after a week of helping them pull off a commercial
trip, blam you are a guide.  Of course this works
great for the company as you are paying them to use
their equipment in off season, then they pick the
guides who look like they have promise to work for
them.  I am glad I never attended one of these as I
was better off not as I could mentor with folks whom I
looked up to to get the same or in my opinion better
skills.  I have seen many of the folks who come out of
these classes who think they have it all figured out.
We call it the 2nd year guide syndrome.  I have had
these folks telling me all about their experience and
then you go downstream and they are wrapped bigger
than shit on a rock.  I think to run rivers as much as
you can in as many environments as you can you will
come out more experienced than a 3 day seminar.  As
well as there are so many ways to run rivers much like
there are many ways to hike a trail.  One persons idea
of how to hike a trail will not match up to anothers.

  If a person does attend a seminar take all gear
references with a grain of salt.  I remember SMD being
highly touted at a slide show I attended before my
thru hike.  The slide show was awesome and I highly
recommend it to thru hikers past present and future
and non hikers as well.  Awesome photos, trail history
etc.  But when a product is touted by someone you look
up to and it fails in a big way, what a
dissapointment.  These folks get free gear given to
them by the manufacturer so they will tout it without
really believing in its durability etc.

  And a challange to manufacturers.  Start giving 1%
of profits to the trails whom you end up doing a lot
of business with its hikers.  Or maybe global warming
is a issue with you, or how people in tibet are
treated.  I am bummed out I cannot put together a gear
list of light weight equipment without purchasing
products assembled in China.  I don't see anyone
taking on the challenge of using equipment that has
been assembled in a socially responsible manner.  I
watched several excellent documentaries on this
subject this winter.  The Corporation, Inconvinient
Truth and Why We Fight.  Ending war would be a huge
boost to the environment we all so dearly care about.

my thoughts listo