[pct-l] This Forum Is Great Fun

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Wed Dec 20 16:57:52 CST 2006

Though I've only been following this forum a few months, I have to say it is great.  As I am far too busy doing "important stuff" (like putting gas in my car), I only receive the Daily Digest.  But what a great read!  When you receive each post as it is emailed, you quickly lost the context of the back and forth banter.  But reading it all at once every day gives great clarity:  We are all a bunch of idiots with nothing better to do (unless of course you aren't an idiot).  I love it!

I have always read posts from forums that I disagree with or find just outright irritating.  But 99% of the time, just 24 hours latter, I really regretted having responded as I felt like such an idiot for having lost a few IQ points by having associated with all involved.  In fact, I already regret having done so here once.  Often, if I can resist the urge to respond, by the next day, I'll have lost all interest in doing so.  But sometimes, the urge is just too strong to resist and I scream, "Onward, once again into the breach!" as I brandish my two edged keyboard while taking refuge behind my large LCD shield.  After intially becoming a god on the battlefield and taking no prisoners, I latter drag myself home after having lost both legs to stand on.  I usually felt strangely satisfied for a short time (until the next post) for having righted all preceived (though very minor) wrongs only to wake up the next day realizing what an idiot I was.  I wonder how many people here can relate to that?

But lately, I'm realizing some other advantages of staying out of the fray.  Watching others act like fools is so much more satisfying then being one yourself.  It's really entertaining to read when I'm bored.  And all the flaming is helping me deal with the unusally cold weather we are experiencing here in SoCal this week (I was cold wearing short sleaves on Monday during lunch).  Keep up the good work people.  I may even learn something of value about the PCT one day though I'm sure it will be just an accidental comment. :P

As I have lost the point of this long post(assuming it ever had one), I shall leave you with a Merry Christmas and goodwill towards men(though apparently not women).  I hope to see a few of you on the trail next year (but just a few, too many and things might start to look like a congregation of PCT'ers on Mt Whitney in early July).

- Sean

PS: I think that all hikers who wear... uhhh... BLUE (that will work) are soft on the war against pythons in the Everglades!!!
(With that parting shot, I bravely run away.)