[pct-l] Whores and the TahquitzInn

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sun Dec 24 17:31:44 CST 2006

A couple of comments:

There are "bad apples" almost everywhere. Hikers are no exception. About
1989 I was on a Sierra Club trip in the Grand Canyon with a leader who
was supposedly qualified, except that he was ill informed about water
conditions and rules. When we got to one campsite, there was only a
trickle of water in the creek. Leader decided to go on to next nite's
planned stop. We got there and the park ranger didn't want us to camp
there since we didn't have reservations -- understandable and legitimate
since each spot has only a limited carrying capacity and was already
booked full. Leader got obnoxious with the rangers and ranted about
being part of the Sierra Club. Rangers had heard this rant before and
the rant is one reason why the Sierra Club has a bad reputation.

I used to lead Sierra Club trips and I've had a few bad apples.

I was in the Navy in the '60's and sailors had a bad reputation in many
Navy towns. (Sailors and dogs "keep off the grass".  Understandably so.
I was tarred with that reputation even though my conduct was much better.

I think the hiker awareness campaign at KO is important. I urge the
guidebook authors to include some information about proper treatment of
and gratitude to Trail Angels, whether the angel just gives you a lift
or puts you up for the nite.

Happy New Year.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>