[pct-l] Tipping

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 12:03:34 CST 2006

If I open my home to you or any other hiker, give you a ride to and from the
trailhead (30 miles), feed you, shower you, do your laundry, take you to the
big store 40 mile round trip, and invite you to live in my home for 1-3
days...........don't you think a "tip" in the jar would be nice?? Maybe I'm
off the mark here, but it costs me on a fixed income to try and help you
guys out. Would you go to a motel and get less amenities and walk out with
out paying. We don't charge, never have. But it gives us a poor feeling to
do so much, especially for a group of 10-15 hikers for 2-3 days not to find
a penny in our jar. We try, like all the other trail angels, to make you
comfortable......bring you in like family and try to make the last leg of a
long trail a little easier. The last four years we have given up every
corner of our home to do for the hikers including our own beds. We don't
have the wide open spaces like other trail angels or motels. Why do the
hikers get upset when you ask for a tip. Would you rather we just up front
said ...........OK Joe..........$20 bucks a night ?? We would rather you
were kind enough to leave us a tip so we could continue to help. You could
go to the motel and pay $80 per person or $40 per person and not even have a
shower in your room, have to pay for all your meals, no TV, no phone, no
computer, no fire pit, no kitchen, no laundry..............so, I'm venting.
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way. We aren't rich but would like to
help the hikers. But it puts a strain to support you all for 4 months a
year. And by the way........we are building a dorm for the hikers. So we
aren't quiting and will continue to do for you. This is just my opinion for
trail angels. Not their opinion..........just mine. We will continue to
bring you home and treat you like family.