[pct-l] Dogs on the trail

Ryan Christensen yosemiteryan at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 25 14:23:46 CST 2006

I would discourage you from bringing your dog on a thru-hike of the PCT. If your goal is to reach Canada in one whole swoop, then bringing a dog would not be wise or legal. The trail goes through many National Park Service lands, where dogs are not allowed. Out of respect for the National Parks and the reputation of PCT'ers- dont bring a dog into NPS lands.

  That being said, if your goal is not to hike every foot of the PCT to Canada next year, then you can simply skip the NPS lands- although the transportation would be a challenge, and you would miss the some of the most scenic and magical sections of the entire trail.

  Last year I ran into someone who had two very loving and kind dogs. She had to arrange them to get off the trail an heal as they had lost so much weight on the trail. It seemed as if they were not eating enough food to make up for the calories they were burning.

  Again my advice would be, if your goal is to hike the entire PCT- then don't bring the dog.

  ProDeal

Jon Danniken <danniken at comcast.net> wrote:
  "LeRoy Ramirez" wrote:
> Anyone have advice? I'm going thru in April.

Well, I'd say that unless you have solid experience with animal care as it
concerns the physical demands of distance hiking on a dog, you might want to
get it, first. You'll also want to realize that in some areas, such as
within most National Parks, dogs are not permitted.

Jon

unsubscribe or change options: